In 1928, Theodore McManus, a local advertising executive and golf enthusiast, designed and built his own golf course on his land. Mr. McManus later donated a portion of this property to create Saint Hugo of the Hills church which was named in memory of his son, Hugo, who died at a young age. A few years later, he leased the golf course to Martin who gave it public access.
In the early 1950s, Inez Geitz assumed lease of the property from John McManus, Ted's son, and eventually purchased the property for $75,000. She married Don D'Onofrio, an assistant pro at the Country Club of Detroit. They continued to run it as a public course until 1958 when they made it private.